DESCENT OF THE RIVER SELLA IN CANOE
The Sella river is one of the most beautiful and clean rivers of the peninsula. Thanks to the descent of the river Sella by canoe you can enjoy its beautiful landscapes while having fun with one of the most spectacular activities of active tourism.
The Sella makes its way to the Cantabrian Sea, through the great mass of limestones of the Picos de Europa, carving a deep gorge on the western border of this important orographic unit. This large cleft, known as the «Beyos Gorge», is the upper part of the river, which is only suitable for whitewater experts. In the lower part of the Sella, from Cangas de Onis to Ribadesella, passing through Arriondas, the waters are much quieter and it is there that has been developing an intense canoeing activity since 1951, when the first International Descent of the Sella was inaugurated .
The International Sella River Descent competition takes place every year on the first Saturday of August at 12:00 h. And more than 2000 people participate.
Located in the surroundings of the National Park of the Picos de Europa and ending at the fishing village of Ribadesella; The River Sella allows you to enjoy its 16 kilometers of descent by calm waters and without having any experience.
The total route is about 4 hours.
By the river you can make stops on the river beaches to rest, eat and take a bath.
Our monitors will give you some basic notions of the handling of the canoe and the route to be performed. You are provided with a picnic and a water bottle to store your belongings.
Departures take place between 11:00 and 13:00 h. Every 10 minutes and the minimum age for activity is 5 years.
We have canoes with 1, 2, 3 seats.
We have 2 finishes in the river: a first 8 kilometers (2 hours) and the second 16 kilometers (4 hours). Once at the end of the tour we will take you back to our activity base where we have showers and changing rooms.
The company provides:
- Waterproof drum for you to keep food, towel, …
- Neoprene wetsuit if weather conditions are adverse.
- Specialized monitor that will explain the basic notions to handle the blade and control the boat.
- Picnic bag [food and water], to replenish forces.
- Insurance from R.C.
- Shower and changing facilities.
What you need to bring:
- We recommend that you bring comfortable sports clothes and shoes that can get wet, as well as sun cream and cap.
- Do not forget to bring a towel and change clothes after the descent.
The price for the activity is:
- Adults: 20 euros per person
- Children under 15 years: 15 euros per person
- In the price is included the taxes and the material as well as the picnic.
To make the descent of the Sella by canoe is necessary prior reservation since in the summer season all the squares are completed. To make the reservation you can send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling +34 985 84 14 28.
You can also visit our website: www.zenitexperiencias.com